Is Easily Distracted
12 suggestions to help rein in distracting thoughts during prayer
- Have your most important prayer when your mind is fresh and ready
- Write out your prayers to God
- Talk out loud to the Lord (be aware of your surroundings)
- Disconnect from phone and all social media
- Have a list prepared of the things you want to cover in your conversation with God
- Focus on a single item daily for 5 minutes. Jeba gave the example of contemplating a houseplant. Focus is a mental muscle that can be exercised. The more you work it, the easier it is to focus.
- Avoid dragging on and on. Be concise. As your relationship with God deepens, you’re more likely to stay focused.
- Designate a prayer area where you’ll go just for prayer.
- Talk fresh – don’t repeat phrases. Kojo suggested saying, “Good morning Jesus!” instead of “Dear Heavenly Father…” Kojo also suggested changing your posture if you find yourself distracted.
- Apologize when your mind wanders. Get back to it.
- Share your distraction with God and ask for His guidance.
- Have a prayer partner