Okay, some of you might say that you don’t make new year’s resolutions anymore. Well, to choose not to make a resolution is a resolution itself 😊
There are good reasons to make resolutions:
– They help you know where you are headed in life (Imagine having the latest GPS in your vehicle but not typing in a destination.)
– They help you grow and get out of your comfort zone.
– They help minimize distractions in daily life.
Oftentimes, resolutions don’t work because they’re just wishes, not resolutions. If wishes were enough, you and I would be wealthy, healthy, and wise without lifting a finger.
Another word for resolution is goal. How do you accomplish your goals? You could google the question, and it might take all of 2023 to read some of the answers. So, here’s a simpler 7-step guide that works for me:
1. Set your SMART goal [Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, and Timely (George Doran, 1981)].
2. Develop simple strategies (the steps that lead up to your goal).
3. Make your goal and strategies public. (Get more intentional: Be accountable to three trustworthy individuals.)
4. Be visually reminded daily of your goal and strategies.
5. Work your strategies.
6. Review progress weekly.
7. Celebrate small accomplishments along the way to the big win.
To help, there’s millennia-tested wisdom from the Bible:
*Where there is no vision, people perish. (Proverbs 29:18)
*Where there is no guidance, people fall, but in an abundance of counselors there is safety. (Proverbs 11:14)
*Lazy people want much but get little; but those who work diligently will prosper. (Proverbs 13:4)
Happy New Year😊